Friday, February 15, 2008

Best. Homework. Ever.

Homework can be a real drag, especially when it piles up the way it tends to at Art Center. But once in a while, you get an assignment where the instructor tells you to do pages of sketches of dinosaurs. Technically, the assignment was to draw dinosaurs and other animals, but he had me at "dinosuar."

The first image here is a compilation of several pages of quick, 1-2 minute thumbnail sketches:
We were then asked to pick one animal that we briefly studied and do a couple pages of research sketches. I chose the T-Rex because... well, it's the T-Rex. As part of my T-Rex research, I also studied eyes and scale patterns of modern lizards to help envision what the T-Rex may have looked like:
I then drew the T-Rex from my imagination, referring to my studies: After I finished this assignment, I found this awesome article, closely related to this assignment. Two new dinosaurs! Pretty cool...

5 comments:

OWEN FREEMAN said...

Hey Tim,
I understand how tough it can be, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and draw page after page of fearsome dinosaurs in action no matter how much we'd rather be painting grayscale value swatches.
I'm sorry, that's just life.

Tim Coleman said...

aww yeah... thats the good stuff... Tim Crash Anderson.

Josh Kao said...

really cool stuff tim, looks like this class is a lot of fun...can't wait to see the redesigns

Aaron said...

Great T-Rex drawings, and handwriting.

Anonymous said...

Great work! You've really captured a sense of action in each pose. Being more deliberate with your lineweight to push the volume of the form will make your work even more kick-ass. Looking forward to seeing the next set!